The event is history, and now everyone is asking, "OK; so what can I do about it?" This page is here to offer you some concrete steps to take for impeachment, for bringing the Dick and George show to a screaming halt (hopefully, with them doing the screaming - and maybe even a little kicking).
- First, look at the "Resources" page on this web site; it has information you can use as you talk to other people about impeachment.
- Once you've gotten up to speed on the topic, begin telling other people:
- Use static things like posters, signs, and bumper stickers to get the message out.
- Go dynamic - talk to people in person, and tell them about the Bush junta's "high crimes and misdemeanors."
- Talk to people in groups - have house parties, talk to people at your lunch table at work, or whatever you can think of.
- Declare yourself publicly in favor of impeachment - wear orange, the orange of the jumpsuits that the illegally incarcerated people at Guantanamo are forced to wear. Go to the World Can't Wait 'Declare It Now!' web site for more information.
- Probably the most effective thing you can do is to contact your Congressional Representative, and make it clear that you demand the House begin impeachment proceedings against both Bush and Cheney. Here are some ways you can do that:
- Write your representative and demand that s/he publicly come out in favor of impeachment, both of George W. Bush and of Dick Cheney. To contact your representative, go to the House of Representatives web site, enter your zip code at the top of the page, and click "Go". You can go to his or her web site from the web page that's displayed next; and each representative's web site has a link to a form for contacting that representative.
- House Resolution 333, for the impeachment of Dick Cheney, has already been submitted by Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio. Tell your representative to join the list of co-sponsors of that bill.
- Attend your representative's home-district meetings; speak out and demand his or her support of impeachment. Force him or her to take a stand, one way or another, on the issue, and if s/he won't do it, turn up the heat.
- Next, consider contacting the members of the House Jucidiary Committee; these are the people who will have to start the impeachment process. The chair of the committee is John Conyers, a progressive Democrat from Michigan, and the "ranking member" (that is, the senior Republican) is Lamar Smith of San Antonio.
- Finally, organize, organize, organize! The people in power don't listen to individuals because individuals can't make huge campaign contributions, and individuals can't vote them out of office. This means that we have to organize into groups large enough to make a difference. How do you do that?
- Ask your local labor unions - they've been doing it for over 100 years.
- Ask your local civil rights organizations - they've been doing it for over 50 years.
- Join our e-list to be kept up on the AustinImpeach organization and its efforts and activities.
The knowledge is out there, just waiting for us to ask for it. The one thing we can't do is fight among ourselves; whatever our differences, our common goal - impeachment - and our common enemy - the Bush junta - must bring us together, or we will fail. El pueblo unido, jamás será vencido!
There are a lot more things that can be added here - and we plan to do just that. Also, if you have any ideas about what people can do towards impeachment, e-mail them to the site administrator.